A nice caffeinated beverage can be either a perfect break time beverage or a breakfast staple to get your day started. I love having a nice latte or espresso with a shot of cream of sugar to kick of my day.
Buying a great espresso/latte machine can be a great investment but can cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Who has the money to waste on a machine that can make good espresso and coffee but terrible lattes or cappuccinos?
To make our list, we have comprised the elite coffee/espresso/latte makers on the planet from giants like Nespreso and Keurig.
Our team has taken into account customer reviews, expert testimony, and personal use of each machine to make the list of the best latte machines of 2020.
[amazon bestseller=”Latte Machine” =”10″]
The Best Latte Machine are describe below
Table of Contents
- 1 The Best Latte Machine are describe below
- 2 Buying Guide of Best Latte Machine
- 2.1 What is a Latte? How is it Different from Espresso, Coffee or Cappuccino?
- 2.2 What Makes a Coffee Machine a Latte Machine
- 2.3 How to Make a Great Cup of Latte
- 2.4 Types of Latte Machines
- 2.5 Budget
- 2.6 What Will You Be Drinking Other than Lattes?
- 2.7 Benefits of Coffee
- 2.8 Key Decision to Make Before Buying your Latte Machine
- 2.9 Frequently Ask Questions
- 2.10 What are Some Extra Features?
- 2.11 What if my Latte/Espresso Machine is not Working Properly?
- 2.12 How Do I Prepare a Latte?
- 2.13 Conclusion:
1. Breville ESP8XL
The Breville ESP8XL Cafe Roma Espresso Maker is a stainless steel espresso machine with a 15 bar thermal lock pump to extract the most flavor from the coffee. It has a maximum capacity of 40.6 ounces of water that can deliver delicious and robust coffee. This sexy machine looks like it belongs in front of an Italian café. It is also at a reasonable price compared to other espresso/latte machines on the list.
It has a dual water filter system that gives you a pristine quality in the water. Also it has a cup warming plate and a froth enhancer to make a delicious cappuccinos as well as a lattes. This product comes with a stainless steel frothing picture as well as a measuring spoon and cleaning kit. If you are not happy with this product for some reason, it comes with a one-year limited warranty by the company, but I doubt that.
Overall, I highly recommend this as a home espresso maker. It is very easy to clean and maintain however, there are other more impressive machines on the list. I recommend buying this one as a starter espresso/latte maker.
- Large reservoir over 1.2 liters or 40 oz
- Cool stainless steel design
- Easy to use
- Comes with cleaning tools
- 1 year limited warranty
- Makes a great froth for cappuccinos
- Filters can clog easily and may need to be replaced or adjusted
2. Nespresso EN520SL
Nespresso makes products that are world-renowned. I am sure you have seen one of their commercials featuring George Clooney or Danny DeVito expressing how delicious their espressos/lattes can be. Their Nespresso by De’Longhi EN520SL Lattissima is their premiere home brewing machine.
This machine is Starbuck’s barista quality. It is a smart coffee maker that can make multiple beverages including cappuccinos, espressos, macchiato, and regular coffee. It uses a thermal block heating system to maintain the optimal temperature for whatever beverage you choose. It uses 19 bars of pressure to deliver that quality cup of caffeine.
It has a maximum water capacity of 30 ounces, slightly less than a liter. It has a single touch easy system to use and clean-up is a breeze. All you have to do is rinse with warm soap and water. It also has an adjustable sliding drip tray to accommodate larger beverages. This is also a very energy-efficient machine that will save you some dollars on your energy bill.
Overall, this machine can make a variety of drinks that would make any Italian barista blush. The machine may not produce espresso or coffee as quickly as others and does have a relatively smaller carrying capacity for the water reservoir. If you have the money for the top of the line home espresso machine, this is the choice.
- Easy one-touch system
- Can make a variety of drinks including lattes, cappuccinos, Americanos, and macchiato
- Energy efficient
- Comes with a welcome set of Nespresso capsules
- One of the fastest meat grinders
- Self-cleaning milk froth button
- Compact and fits on most surfaces and inside most cabinets
- Have to use Nespresso brands of K-cups
- Not very large water reservoir
3. Ninja CF091
The Ninja CF091 Coffee Maker is an awesome product in terms of making coffee fast and it’s price. This is one of the more affordable options on our list. This stainless steel coffee / espresso maker has a capacity of 60 oz. One of its unique features is that it has a reusable metal steel mesh so you do not need to be replacing filters.
It also features a 50 oz glass Charitie as well as a 20-recipe coffee-making guide to help make all the delicious beverages you can think of. I also like that it has a smart warming feature which enables the following drinks you make to be as warm as the first one so it does not lose heat.
Overall, this is a super affordable coffee/espresso makers and especially good for beginners. However, the problem is that you cannot insert K cups or coffee pods into it and you must use fresh coffee grounds to make your drinks. Other than that, this is an efficient and beautiful looking product.
- Affordable price tag compared to other options
- Permanent reusable metal filter
- Very large water capacity of 60 oz
- Recipe guide
- 6 different brewing size settings
- Warming tray to keep beverages hot
- Comes with limited warranty
- Cannot use pods or K-cups with this machine
4. Breville Bambino Plus
Breville comes back with their most exquisite espresso machine with the Breville BES500BSS Bambino Plus Espresso Machine Brushed Stainless Steel. Here we have a machine that would be found in any high-end coffee shop in the world.
This machine has an innovative thermogenic heating system that can heat up in as quickly as three seconds to make your beverage. 19 g of coffee grinds is the ideal amount to use for the ideal coffee taste.
It also features a digital temperature control system to control temperatures precisely for whatever beverage needs to be made. It also has an automatic microphone milk texturing system that allows you to adjust the milk temperature to suit your taste and consistency.
It’s pretty cool for creating latte art as you see skilled barista’s doing. It also features a low pressure pre-infusion system that is meant to extract as much flavor possible for your espresso, latte, coffee or cappuccino.
Overall, this is an exquisite espresso machine that can literally do it all. It heats up quickly, delivers great flavor, and it has precise temperature control. If you can stomach the price tag you will be in coffee heaven.
- Super-fast 3 second heat up time
- Digital temperature control for precise heating
- Automatic micro-foam milk texturing for latte art
- Compact size
- Beautiful design
- Comes with a 1 year warranty
- Clean up is easy
- The price tag is not for the weak of heart, but worth it
5. Mr. Coffee Automatic Dual Shot Espresso/Cappuccino System
Since 1970, Mr. Coffee has been providing quality coffee products to Americans. Their automatic double shot espresso/cappuccino maker is a great device for an even greater price. One of the cool things about this is that it has a dual system to allow two shots of espresso at once.
It has a thermal block heating system to heat water under five seconds. It has a milk froth or to be able to make a perfectly steamed milk macchiato or for hot milk for espresso. Clean up as easy as it has cleaning tools as well as a removable water reservoir.
It is simple and not too many bells and whistles.
Overall, this machine gives a very good tasting coffee beverage very quickly. However, for the price, you will find your sacrificing durability. Albeit if I were still in college or living in a small place, I would be buying this one.
- Has a unique dual shot brewing
- Drip catcher underneath to make clean up easy
- Cheap price tag
- Simple controls
- Thermal block heating system to heat water instantly
- Recipe guide
- Not as durable as more expensive espresso makers
6. Keurig K-Cafe Coffee Maker
Keurig K-Café Coffee Maker is one of the simplest espresso machines to use. This machine can use any type of K cup and is able to make lattes, cappuccinos, espresso’s and regular coffee with no issues. It has a simple three-step design.
Simply place any K-cup, cross your milk of choice and then enjoy your delicious beverage. This machine has a near instant heating system. It is also energy efficient saving on electricity. What I like is that it has a strong brew setting to get a more intense cup of coffee. I also like that clean up as easy as the milk froth or and other parts are dishwasher safe.
Overall, this is such a cool machine I can make nearly any coffee drink you can think of. It has a large reservoir and easy to clean. The only thing is that if you want to make freshly ground coffee, you must buy a separate filter and clean-up will be a little harder.
- Simple button controls
- Very large 60 oz reservoir
- Automatic switch off switch after its last use
- Easy to clean with dishwasher safe parts
- Larger travel mugs or tumblers easily fit
- Energy efficient
- Can only use Keurig K-cups and cannot use coffee grounds unless you buy the filter separately
7. Mr. Coffee Cafe Latte Maker
The Mr. Coffee Cafe Latte Maker is made for the latte enthusiast. This machine is going to make you one of the best lattes you have ever had in your life. It looks like Mr. Coffee is still keeping Americans happy to this day.
What people like most is how simple this process is. All you have to do is pour the milk, for your coffee, and the machine takes care of the rest after pushing one simple button. This machine can make a delicious latte with one simple touch as well as other tasty drinks including hot chocolate. It has a 24 oz capacity and can make 2 to 3 beverages at a time.
It has a powerful milk froth wand that will deliver perfect temperature milk. It also comes with the recipe guide with over 15 different drink recipes. My personal favorite is the cinnamon sugar latte; sometimes I will mix a little pumpkin spice and not making it to give it some extra flavor. This machine is also capable of making espresso and a multitude of other drinks.
Overall, this is a machine for the latte enthusiast who wants to save money at the coffee shop. However, this machine has a smaller reservoir tank than others and gets annoying to have to keep refilling it. Other than that, it is very versatile and compact.
- Recipe book with over 20 recipes
- Makes one of the best-tasting home lattes
- Automatically powers off after the last use
- Compact size
- Low maintenance
- Cleaning is easy, just rinse with soap and water
- Very easy to set up and use
- It is an expensive price tag but worth every penny
8. De longhi america en750mb nespresso lattissima pro machine
This is a beautifully designed machine with a nice aluminum finish. It has an intuitive touch screen and a very modern feel. This machine offers is one of the finest espresso beverages that will make you smile from ear to ear. The high-pressure espresso extraction system uses 19 bars of pressure to get that perfect espresso flavor.
To pair, it has an amazing milk-frothing system that is also removable to keep cold milk refrigerated and hot milk warm. The milk froth or it is also dishwasher safe.
The machine has a water container capacity of 44 oz. Another cool fact about this machine is that it has a near instant thermal block heating system they can heat up in less than six seconds. This machine cannot only make a good cup of cappuccino but also espresso, Americano, and Italian macchiato. The machine is very safe and will turn off after nine minutes of non-use.
The machine has an auto-clean setting as well as dishwasher safe milk frother.
Overall, this is one of my favorite machines on the list. It looks great, does his job well, and is very durable. Again, the problem with this one like others is that you must you the Nespresso K cups.
- One of the best milk foamers creating a dense rich creamy taste
- Milk and water have no contact with each other
- One-touch button layout
- Rapid heating system
- Comes with a complementary set of K-cups
- Comes with the recipe book
- Made with recycled parts and energy efficient
Buying Guide of Best Latte Machine
What is a Latte? How is it Different from Espresso, Coffee or Cappuccino?
Coffee is the most basic form. It is made by allowing hot water to flow and mix with coffee beans creating the drink. Usually called hot coffee or “Americano” is usually mixed with cream and sugar or you can drink it straight up or “black”.
Espresso is made using coffee beans as well. The coffee beans used for espresso tend to have a more concentrated amount of caffeine and a more robust flavor. A common type of bean used in espresso is either Columbian or Arabica beans as they are darker more full-bodied roasts.
A latte is a hot coffee drink made of 2 ounces of espresso, 3 ounces of hot steamed milk, and sugar.
A cappuccino is the same as espresso, however, it uses frothed milk rather than hot steamed milk.
Espresso requires a different technique to make than regular coffee. In regular coffee, the boiling hot water flows through a mixture of ground coffee beans into a pot as you see in most coffee machines at work.
To make espresso, the coffee grounds are more densely packed together. The water used is hot but not boiling. That water is forced under a high-pressure system and spends between 20 to 30 seconds extracting flavor and caffeine from the coffee grounds.
To do this more complex process a stove or regular coffee machine will not do and you need an espresso machine.
What Makes a Coffee Machine a Latte Machine
Most coffee typical coffee machines are not up to par when it comes to making a great latte. The reason is that most typical coffee machines are only built to make coffee is due to its temperature and pressure.
To make a great cup of latte, you need to have the ability to make espresso. To make a rich bold espresso flavor a machine has to extract a certain amount of caffeine and flavor from the coffee grounds. Most machines on this last use at least 15 atmospheres (the measure of pressure, 1 atmosphere equals the normal pressure on Earth) to make espresso. Also these machines are set at the optimal temperature for making espresso which differs from an Americano or regular hot coffee.
Another key part of a latte is that is must be a milk based drink. Machines made for making lattes have a milk frother, which can foam and warm the milk in a way that gives a richer taste and texture.
While you can make a latte using a regular coffee machine, it will not be an authentic lattee.
How to Make a Great Cup of Latte
The first step is to pick your coffee beans. I recommend using a dark roast espresso or Arabica beans as they have a rich robust flavor profile.
Second you must choose your milk. I prefer using whole milk as it gives a decadant flavor to the latte. Other people also use almond milk, soy milk, fat free and other alternatives.
Third, make a double shot of espresso using your selected coffee flavor. If you do not want a stronger caffeinated beverage one shot should do.
Fourth, you must froth your milk. Your machine should have a container with a frothing wand to heat and/or foam your milk. Usually the ideal temperature for milk should not be higher than 160 degrees or else it will ruin the taste of the milk. Milk has a lot of heat sensitive proteins and enzymes that are broken down with too much heat.
Fifth, pour the milk and coffee into your mug. Be careful doing this as you are messing with hot liquids. A home mug should be 8 to 12 oz and make sure if using a travel mug to use the mug warmer before taking it to work or school. No one likes a cold lattee.
Last step, enjoy!
Types of Latte Machines
Automatic- These machines are built for speed and convenience. They take all the hassle and thought out of making beverages. They are for those who want a simple way to make an latte using no more than 2 or 3 steps which just require pouring water or milk into the machine with a pre-calculated amount of coffee grounds (usually 19-25g of coffee). I recommend this type of machines for busy profesionals or one of the coffee machines for your office break room.
Semi Automatic- If you like to have your coffee prepared in a uinique way and want to be more hands on, I recommend this type of latte machine. It has more steps but you have more control of the final overall product. For instance with some machines you mix different flavors of coffee together and make unique latte milk art. You are sacrificing speed for more control.
The budget is the most important thing to consider especially when purchasing like a latte machine. There are plenty of options both cheap and expensive. The Mr. Coffee brands of latte machines tend to run on the cheaper side around $100. The more expensive Nespreso products can cost $500 or more.
What Will You Be Drinking Other than Lattes?
This question is important because I am sure you will want to change it up from a latte every now and then.
Also with so many other types of declious coffee beverages why limit yourself?
First thing to consider is if you want a machine that uses K-cups or coffee pods vs one that uses ground coffee. Using individual pods allow you to have a wider variety of flavors at your hand. If you want to purchase French vanilla coffee pods one day for work you can. Also you can purchase more decadant hot chocolate pods for a relaxing night at home.
The draw back is that you are going to spend more money on pods. I find a pack of pods (usually around 12-24 pods) will last me a month if I do not share. So that can run you an additional $20-$45 dollars per month.
Using ground coffee is slightly cheaper as ground coffee is cheaper per package compared to a pack of pods. I also find coffee made from pods does not taste as fresh compared to coffee grounds.
Hey, I am just expressing my personal opinion. If you prefer the pods then do you and make yourself some good caffeinated beverages.
Benefits of Coffee
Ever since the Dutch Trading Company brought coffee to the former 13 Colonies, it has exploded to become the most popular nonalcoholic drink in America for good reason.
It can be a social drink as I am sure we all have meet friends over coffee or invited a girl out on a first date at a local coffee shop.
It is also an indulgence as coffee flavored chocolate, cheesecake, smoothies, jellybeans and even coffee flavored soda.
It is also one of the healthier drinks out there especially compared to other beverage alternatives like beer, soda, and juice.
Coffee has been shown to prevent against disease like Parkinson’s, type 2 diabetes, and liver cancer. It can also improve mental function and cognition, especially important for conditions like depression and seasonal depressive disorder.
A latte a day will keep the doctor away? Not by itself haha, but having a fresh cup of caffeine a day is part of a healthy diet that most people can handle.
Of course the side effects of having too much caffeine include jitters, insomnia, increased heart rate, palpitations, and increased bowel movements. As long as you do not go above the recommended 400mg of caffeine a day, you will be fine.
Key Decision to Make Before Buying your Latte Machine
- Reservoir or Water Tank- This is where the water is stored. Usually around .75 to 2 L on average. It can be detachable in some machines and fixed in other machines. It is important to make sure that if it is detachable you clean it. Metal water tanks are built with metals that prevent microbial growth. Most machines will have a water filter and water softener inside.
- Milk Frother- This is a multicomponent part of your latte machine. There is a container where you place your milk. It is responsible for heating the milk up. Then there is also a stirring rod that will froth the milk to give it that airy consistency of foam.
- Porta-Filter- This is where the coffee grounds are held. It is a small basket that you can remove and fill with the coffee grounds. Make sure you are packing the coffee tightly in the porta-filter before use. The hot water flows through this compartment and mixes to get that rich espresso flavor.
Most meat trays are made of either some form of steel or aluminum, and their diameters vary; however, the larger meat trays will belong to electric meat grinders like the LEM and STX..
- Durability – This is the main blade that minces/grinds up the food in the meat grinder. They are usually made of carbon or stainless steel and are super sharp, so be careful when cleaning or changing them out.
- Pump- The pump takes the water and passes through the heating source or boiler. It is vital in creating that ideal pressure to make an espresso as the base for you latte.
- Thermostat- The thermostat is the module that regulates the heat of the machine. It is found in both models that use a heat exchanger and a boilers that heat the water.
Frequently Ask Questions
What are Some Extra Features?
- Built-in Coffee Grinder- Great for those who want to make fresh coffee at home. Also saves money on buying a separate coffee grinder machine.
- Cup Warmer- This keeps your cup or mug nice and hot. This is great for someone like me who frequently neglects to drink their coffee while it is hot.
- Water Filter- This will improve the quality of your water. I do not have one so I will just use my water filter for regular water as the water for my latte machine.
- Frothing Wand- Again, most espresso and latte machines should have this. Make sure your machine comes with one before buying or you can forget about having the best quality steamed milk.
- Recipe Guide- These are very cool and offer drinks you may not have thought about. I like how there are a lot of holiday drinks for Halloween and Christmas.
- Warranty (depending on the company)- Most of these companies know that buying a high end machine requires a warranty and reliable customer support. That is why I recommend buying from well established companies with a long history of producing great products.
What if my Latte/Espresso Machine is not Working Properly?
The first thing is to clean the port-a filter, basket, and water tank (if detachable) after each use. You can use a simple hard scrub pad to get those little coffee grounds stuck inside. Then just rinse all of them with hot water after. After you give it a good dry just replace back on the machine.
Second, is to run soap and water through your steam/frothing wand. If your machine has this attachment, then you need to sanitize it after each use.
The last thing you should disassemble the machine and do a deep clean at least once a month. Make a cleaning solution with soap and water and apply some hard work. Any little crevasse could be a potential spot for bacterial and fungal growth
How Do I Prepare a Latte?
- Prepare your machine- Fill it water and push the start button so the boiler can start warming the water.
- Choose your coffee- You must use ground coffee for to make a good espresso base. You can either buy your coffee grounded from most stores or grind it yourself. If you want the freshest coffee, it would be best to buy a machine with a built-in coffee grinder like the more high-end Breville products. Another option is to buy a separate coffee grinder.
- Hit the brew button- Pick whether you want a double or single shot of espresso and hit the brew button.
- Prepare your milk- Fill your milk container 1/3-1/2 full of milk. I prefer whole milk as it gives a very rich latte compared to almond, soy, or lower fat milk.
- Hit the brew button- Steaming your milk will take a few seconds using the steaming wand. Then you can spin the milk under the steam wand to make it frothier.
- Hit the brew button- Mix your milk and coffee and then add it additional spices, whipped cream, or flavorings. I always like adding a little bit of cinnamon to my beverages to give it a more earthy taste. Other good options include nutmeg and salt! Do not knock it unless you have tried it.
- Clean up after- As I stated above, cleaning your machine after each use is important in adding additional life to the machine. You should clean out the machine after each use.
Buying an espresso machine to make that perfect latte can be difficult. There an overwhelming amount of options to choose from and all claim to be the best one.
A big decision will be if you want to go for the higher end models or if you can settle for a cheaper lower end machine.
If you use our buying guide as a starting point, then I know you can find that perfect machine that makes tasty drinks, does not break the bank, and is able to last for thousands of caffeinated beverages.