Infrared thermometers are quickly becoming the new standard for checking the temperature. There are more infrared thermometers on the market now more than ever (not all are created equally). We at Healthdy.com have made this buying guide to help you find the best-infrared thermometer for you.
It is only now that infrared thermometers are being used more in private and home settings rather than industrial work environments.
Before, these types of thermometers were used for measuring the temperature of electrical circuits, mechanical equipment, and other jobs where accurate temperature measurement was needed without physically touching things.
With these incredible devices, gone are the days of measuring temperature with the back of your hand or your fingers.
You will find that having an infrared thermometer will make your life much easier when it comes to cooking, maintenance work, and medical care.
10 best infrared thermometer-buying guide and review 2020.
Table of Contents
- 1 10 best infrared thermometer-buying guide and review 2020.
- 1.1 1. Etekcity Lasergrip 774
- 1.2 2. Amprobe ir-730
- 1.3 3. Fluke 561
- 1.4 4. Fluke 64 max
- 1.5 5. Digital Infrared Forehead Thermometer
- 1.6 6. Infrared Thermometer Gun Human Body Digital Laser
- 1.7 7. Kizen LaserPro LP300 Infrared Thermometer
- 1.8 8. Ennologic temperature gun et650d
- 1.9 9. Fluke 62
- 1.10 10. Non-Contact Digital Infrared Forehead Thermometer
- 1.11 How to Use an Infrared Thermometer?
- 1.12 What is an infrared thermometer used for cooking?
- 1.13 How does an infrared thermometer work?
- 1.14 Is the infrared thermometer accurate?
- 1.15 Is an Infrared thermometer safe?
- 1.16 Will an infrared thermometer work on water?
- 1.17 What type of thermometer is most accurate?
- 1.18 What are some uses of an infrared thermometer?
- 1.19 Are infrared thermometers harmful to kids?
- 1.20 Can I use a general-purpose infrared thermometer to measure human forehead temperature?
- 1.21 What are the limitations of an infrared thermometer?
- 1.22 Are industrial type infrared thermometers safe to use on humans?
- 1.23 Can I use a non-contact infrared thermometer to check for fever?
- 1.24 What emissivity setting is best, where do I scan and how do I convert skin temperature to internal temperature?
Last update on 2020-07-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. Etekcity Lasergrip 774
This is an affordable and reliable product made by Etekcity. The Etekcity Lasergrip 774 thermometer gun can accurately take the temperature of any burning hot surface or ice-cold one. This is a durable and sturdy device meant to be used in any environment by professionals in engineering, electricity installation, cooking, and many other fields.
This device can accurately measure temperatures of anything except for the internal temperature objects and accurate surface temperatures of people.
It has an infrared lens with a red beam laser light to better target objects. Thus, it takes the guessing out of the spot you want to be measured.
It has a smooth and comfortable grip while not being too heavy.
Whether it is an ice-cold freezer or hot cement, you will get an accurate temperature always. Whether you are outside or inside, accuracy is guaranteed.
If you work in an airport or insecurity, you may see this device being used to take body temperatures. This speaks about the reliability and accuracy of this product.
- It can measure very accurate temperatures from long distances. Distance to spot ratio 12:1
- Has a wide temperature range from -58 °F to 716 °F that is accurate on a wide variety of objects
- The device has been approved by the FDA, FCC, CE
- Optical power is impressive
- Only one 9 V battery as needed for power source and very easy to change a battery
- Has an auto-off switch to help save battery
- LED lighting on the back allows for easy reading of temperatures
- Emissivity is fixed at .95
- Great battery life
- Very accurate temperatures across a wide range of surfaces
- Laser light for better targeting
- The very affordable price tag
- Instant conversion from Fahrenheit to Celsius
- Does not measure human internal temperature is accurate compared to other IR thermometers on this list
2. Amprobe ir-730
The Amprobe IR-730 IR thermometer is the best thermometer on the list for professional use. This very accurate thermometer works in seconds. It is useful for many things, including industrial maintenance, calibration of kitchen instruments, automotive inspections, and HVAC services, among others. This machine is very accurate for both heat and cold. The device will calibrate each temperature reading four times per second.
This is an ideal beginning IR (infrared) thermometer for Mr. or Mrs. Fix-it-up. Great for both outdoor and indoor use. This product has been approved according to recent CE and FDA safety standards.
While this may be awesome for industrial purposes, I highly recommend this product for home/indoor uses
- Has a temperature range from -26 °F to 2282 °F
- The emissivity is from .1 to 1 which can be adjusted depending on the surface
- Has a beautiful liquid crystal display screen that is well let
- This product is lightweight weighing only a pound
- Distance to spot ratio is 30:1
- Interchangeable between Fahrenheit and Celsius
- Only needs one 9 V battery for power and cons with it
- Comes in beautiful red-black color
- The laser pointer allows for accurate targeting
- Very useful especially for measuring higher temperatures
- Comes with a user manual and carrying bag
- Comes with no hassle warranty
- One of the more expensive IR thermometer. However, others can do the same thing at a lower price on our list
3. Fluke 561
Fluke 561 is an international corporation that was founded in 1948 after the days of WW2. They are one of the leading developers, manufacturers, and distributors of thermometers and other unique technologies. The reason this is called the HVAC Pro is that it is the perfect IR thermometer for any air conditioning unit.
Both professionals and amateurs use this alike to measure the heating and cooling output of the AC units, pipes, supply ducts and etc.
What makes it useful for this is that it reads temperatures accurate on most shining surfaces, which can augment the temperature reading. It is also handy for finding hotspots or leaks in the HVAC system.
The instruction manual makes his device easy to use. It is built very durably and comes with a bright backlight on the screen.
- Can read the pipes, boilers, and shiny surfaced HVAC components very easily
- It has a 20:1 distance to spot ratio
- Has a temperature range from -40 to 1022 °F
- This is the ideal IR thermometer for outdoor and industrial purposes
- There is a dual infrared laser and thermocouple
- Big and bright screen
- Manually adjustable emissivity from .1 to 1
- Has a fabric hook and loop fastener pipe probe for ambient temperature measurements
- Accurately reads temperatures of shining surfaces outdoors
- CE mark which shows adherence with EU directives
- Made by one of the oldest thermometer making companies in the world
- Perfect for the toolbox of any electrician, HVAC maintenance person, or contractor
- It is more of an outdoor IR thermometer; if you are looking one with indoor purposes, I suggest another one on our list
4. Fluke 64 max
The Fluke Company has made another incredibly accurate and versatile IR thermometer.
Their multi-functional 64 Max Infrared Thermometer is a jack of trades as it can be used on many different surfaces to get accurate measurements.
So if you are looking for a precise and accurate indoor and outdoor thermometer, this is the one for you. This little device is very tough as it can survive a fall on a hard surface from over 3 meters. This device can survive any rugged or harsh environment. Yet it is still lightweight and comfortable to hold.
This machine has 99 data points of internal memory and is super sensitive to any fluctuations in temperature. What this means is that it will immediately catch changes in temperature very quickly.
I recommend this for both indoor and outdoor use. Trust me, you will get your money's worth out of this incredibly precise device.
- Distance to spot ratio of 20:1
- Excellent battery life using 9 V batteries
- An emissivity of .1 to 1 that is adjustable
- It has a feature to allow for automated interval measurements so you can leave it unattended and still and will measure temperatures
- Easy to see the backlight
- One of the most durable thermometers on this list
- Excellent customer support staff and limited warranty
- Very long battery life
- For both indoor and outdoor purposes very well
- The instruction manual is a little confusing; however, there are online videos and customer support if needed
5. Digital Infrared Forehead Thermometer
With the coronavirus pandemic in full swing, getting accurate temperatures can be the difference between poor and excellent outcomes for the ones you love. Children and the elderly are most vulnerable to this virus, so this digital infrared forehead thermometer is the perfect weapon to fight this pandemic.
This lightweight thermometer is for ears or on the forehead to measure accurate human skin temperature. It can change between Celsius and Fahrenheit for body temperature. It also can measure proper temperatures within 3 seconds and record over 40 sets of measured temperatures.
This machine also features adjustable sound settings as well as adjustable brightness for the LCD backlight. This way, do not disturb your infant or baby from sleeping peacefully.
The great thing about this device is that pediatricians and doctors use it alike. It is made of a non-toxic and FDA certified material.
I cannot stress how having a thermometer like this is more important now than ever with this global pandemic.
- Has three-color backlight. Green for normal, yellow for a slight fever, and red for moderate to high fever
- The temperature ranges from 34.5 to 41.9 °C or 94 to 107 °F
- Automatic turnoff if not use for 15 seconds
- Power source uses two AAA batteries
- Test distance is 3 to 5 cm
- Super lightweight weighing less than half a pound
- One of the best thermometer for measuring human temperatures
- Very accurate
- Very modern looking design and lightweight
- Very long battery life
- Only useful for measuring temperatures of people, however, if you are satisfied with this, then you are getting the best product on the market
6. Infrared Thermometer Gun Human Body Digital Laser
This is another excellent thermometer for accurately measuring body temperatures. While no infrared thermometer will give you a reliable internal temperature, you will get exceptionally accurate surface temperatures, especially with this affordable product.
This machine does everything you need as it can get a temperature in less than 1 second. It is composed of a highly refractive lens sensor and laser apparatus with a microprocessor and memory chip to record temperatures. All you have to do is point at the center of the forehead above the eyebrow and let the machine do the rest. It has a well-lit LCD backlight and large font so anyone can see the results. It is super light weighing less than half a pound with a remarkable product life of 5 years.
- The products will automatically shut down after 30 seconds of nonuse
- Very affordable
- Suitable for children, adults, and most age groups
- Measures temperatures from 32°F to 212 °F
- hildren, adults, and most age groups
- User-friendly and sanitized before delivery
- Can be used to measure the temperature of objects and people
- Uses a single 9 V battery
- It can do both the temperature of objects and people; however, it is much better for taking the temperature of people. It is still accurate when measuring surface temperatures of objects
7. Kizen LaserPro LP300 Infrared Thermometer
We have a fantastic product made by Kizen. This company prides themselves on competing with other big boys like Dewalt and Raytek. Their Kizen LaserPro LP300 infrared thermometer is genuinely innovative. It combines the latest temperature sensor technology along with advanced Fresnel lenses to improve the accuracy of the thermostat.
It is useful for performing car maintenance, home repairs, cooking, and many other purposes. It has a bright LCD backlight so that one can review the temperatures clearly, no matter how dark it is outside.
It is so simple all you have to do is scan, hold the button, and read the temperature.
When I like about this product that it has a lifetime warranty as well as a 100% money-back guarantee.
- CE and RoHS certified
- Measured temperatures from -58 °F to 1112 °F and less than a half a second
- Emissivity is adjustable from 0.1-1, this allows you to measure temperature is more accurately among different surfaces like cement, wood, granite
- It has an auto turnoff feature to save battery life
- Uses 2 AAA batteries as a power source
- Distance to spot ratio 12:1
- Very lightweight weighing less than a pound
- Easy to use
- Excellent price
- Lifetime warranty and 100% money-back guarantee
8. Ennologic temperature gun et650d
Do you need help with your home improvement project or need to make sure that the rack of ribs you have on the barbecue is cooking correctly?
If you do, let me introduce you to the EnnoLogic Temperature Gun. This very accurate dual laser infrared thermometer can help you find a leak in your insulation or cook that pizza to perfection.
Customers love this product, and I am sure you will too. This very professionally looking device is more affordable compared to other products like Dewalt and Fluke.
It has a big LCD display backlight as well as an alarm setting for whatever temperature you are looking for.
This product is both FDA and FCC approved and basketball. It comes with an extended 10-year extended warranty.
- There is a scanning feature with minimum, maximum, and average temperature display settings
- Adjustable emissivity from 0.1-1
- It has a temperature range of -58 °F to 1202 °F
- Distance to spot ratio 10: 1
- Holster, 9 V battery, and user manual comes with the thermometer
- Gives an accurate temperature and less than half a second
- The best value on our list
- Attractive and durable design
- The 10-year warranty and 100% money-back guarantee
- Accurately measure his temperature of any solid surface from wood to steel
- It does not do human skin surfaces as well as other surfaces, however, there are better medical thermometers on the list.
9. Fluke 62
We are saving one of the best-infrared thermometers for last. Again made by the distinguished Fluke Company. This is a sturdy thermometer with great uses for both indoor and outdoor purposes.
We can count on this light and precise thermometer to be used in any environment, whether hot or cold. It can provide an accurate temperature to a chilled HVAC unit as well as a blistering water heater.
Another great feature of this device is that it has been tested for accuracy with other temperature measuring devices. It is just as accurate as measuring temperature as any other device that you can find out there on the market.
I recommend this thermometer to both the home, Mr. and Mrs. Fix-it, as well as the professional folk.
- It has a distance to spot ratio of 20:1
- It has 99 data points of internal memory does give it better accuracy
- It uses a corded electric power source
- The temperature range goes from -22°F to 1112 °F.
- Can survive over a 3-meter drop onto a hard surface
- Made by a very reliable company in Fluke
- Weighs less than a pound
- The perfect infrared thermometer for any outdoor purpose
- It feels perfect in your hand
- More expensive than other products. However, the price is worth the quality you are getting.
10. Non-Contact Digital Infrared Forehead Thermometer
With the global coronavirus pandemic continuing, getting an accurate temperature is more critical now than ever. Missing a temperature could lead to an adverse health outcome for your sweet baby or your beloved older family member.
This innovative infrared forehead thermometer is made by JUNWER for this exact purpose. It specializes in body temperatures but is also able to do the surface temperature of objects. This machine is designed to be used for all ages.
When I like about it is its compact design fits in most pockets. It is accurate up to .1 °F for reading body temperatures.
I would heavily recommend investing in one of these thermometers, especially if you have small children, older relatives, or living close to other people.
- Three color alarm backlight. Green for normal, yellow for a slight fever, and red for higher fever
- Has a mute/unmute button to allow silent temperature-taking of infants or toddlers
- Has a large LCD backlight
- Runs on 2 AA batteries
- Very affordable
- Can uses for people and surface objects
- Very accurate
- Gives temperatures from 32 °F to 212 °F
- More reliable with skin temperatures than object temperatures, however, you should buy this with the primary use to take temperatures of people
The temperature range for most infrared thermometers ranges from about -40 °F to around 1000°F or around -48 °C to 550 °C. This can accurately measure anything from a cold freezer to a piping hot water heater.
If you are looking to get an accurate human body temperature, most medical infrared thermometers will be in the range from 94 °F to 107 °F or about 35 °C to 42 °C. The average human body temperature should be around 98 °F or 36 °C
If you are looking for brand names in his industry, the ones I recommend are Fluke and Etekcity. They are both large multinational corporations that are innovative and provide high-quality products.
The definition of accuracy is how close the measurement comes to a particular value. All of these infrared thermometers are tested for accuracy by using an alternative temperature measuring devices to see if the values are similar. All the products on the list had performed well and accurately testing before they released it.
The good thing about these thermometers is that they use either 9 Volt, AA, or AAA batteries. If you want to add longer battery life, purchase batteries that are designed for extra life like Energizer Ultimate. Another great thing is that most of these products come with batteries included.
I hope you people are up-to-date on your physics. This concept has to do with thermal radiation, light, and temperature.
The definition emissivity is the ratio of the thermal radiation emitting from the surface of an object to the radiation from an ideal black surface at the same temperature (which is inside your IR thermometer).
This value is measured from 0-1.
A black body would have a value of 1, which means that it is a perfect emitter of heat energy. This includes water or ice.
Material with a value of 0 would be a thermal mirror, not admitting as much thermal radiation. This includes metals like silver or steel.
Infrared thermometers are useful because they can measure both the infrared and light radiation that is not visible to human eyes to give very accurate temperatures.
There are still things that can throw off accuracy. The surface material can cause variation if the surface is reflecting a lot of light or shiny. Another problem if there is a cloud of mist or gas around the target that is measured.
Distance to Spot Ratio
This ratio is the distance to the measurement surface and the diameter of the temperature measurement area.
Given the example, if the ratio is 20:1, the diameter of the measurement area is 1/20 the distance to the object.
As the ratio gets smaller and smaller, the IR thermometer can sense temperatures with greater accuracy due to the reduced distance.
The warranty is an important yet forgotten part of this purchase. All warranties are different, so make sure you check on this before you purchase. The average warranty could last from 1 month to 5 years. However, there are products like Kizen, which have lifetime warranties. More importantly, if you are concerned about having a good warranty, I suggest you buy from one of the larger companies like Fluke or Kizen.
The budget is probably the most important thing, as you do not want to break the bank just to measure temperature. However, you must write down what you are looking for from an infrared thermometer. Make sure that whenever one you by, whenever price tag, checks off all the boxes on what you need.
If you are an electrician, please do not cheap out and buy an inferior product. If you were a stay at home mother looking for a tool to help with her cooking, then a more affordable alternative would be okay.
Frequently Ask Question
How to Use an Infrared Thermometer?
There are generally 3 steps: 1) Turn on 2) Aim while staying at a safe distance 3) Press the trigger 4) Read the temperature
1. Do not point the laser directly at others or in your own eyes
2. Try not to use a laser on services that are shiny or reflecting a lot of light
3. Make sure to measure it at a safe distance
What is an infrared thermometer used for cooking?
Cooking or baking usually requires something being at a specific temperature. For food, an infrared thermometer can help you judge if something needs to stay cooking for longer or ready to come out.
Another use I have found is that it is perfect for calibrating your oven if you feel the temperatures are inconsistent.
How does an infrared thermometer work?
I hope you are ready for another physics lesson. These devices work by using a lens to focus infrared light from an object onto a thermophile inside the machine. As this thermophile absorbs the radiation from the object, it is pointed at it generates heat, which it converts to electricity.
This electricity is set to a mini processor inside the thermometer that determines the temperature of the object.
Is the infrared thermometer accurate?
Yes, it is. Because it is absorbing, visible light, and infrared light emitted from the object. This makes the temperatures it records much more accurate for surface temperatures.
Remember! These types of thermometers are not suitable for internal temperatures.
Is an Infrared thermometer safe?
Yes, they are very safe unless someone starts shining the laser in people's eyes.
Will an infrared thermometer work on water?
Yes, an infrared thermometer will work on water. They are handy for obtaining the temperature of the surface of pools and other bodies of water, big or small.
What type of thermometer is most accurate?
If you are looking for accuracy, mercury thermometers are the most accurate type of thermometers. However, they can be hard to read at times, and not to mention mercury is a toxic substance.
What are some uses of an infrared thermometer?
2. Home repairs
3. A valuable tool for work specifically for electricians, contractors, or HVAC maintenance workers
4. Checking the temperature of your bathwater, hot tub, or tea
Are infrared thermometers harmful to kids?
Yes, if children misuse them, it can cause eye damage. If used safely, though, they pose no harm to children
Can I use a general-purpose infrared thermometer to measure human forehead temperature?
I would not recommend this. There are infrared thermometers made explicitly for medical purposes, and those are the most accurate ones.
What are the limitations of an infrared thermometer?
They are limited by the surface of the object. If the surface is very shiny or reflective, it will make the temperature obtained less accurate. Also, gases like smoke or water vapor around the surface being measured can throw off the accuracy.
Are industrial type infrared thermometers safe to use on humans?
No, there are no side effects or damage it can cause to humans unless pointed at the eyes.
Can I use a non-contact infrared thermometer to check for fever?
Not only can you use it, but I would also highly recommend it. Using one of the skin temperature infrared thermometers can help screen people with fevers to see if they need more medical care. In these times, we must take every precaution
What emissivity setting is best, where do I scan and how do I convert skin temperature to internal temperature?
Emissivity settings depend on the surface object being measured. In general, metals will have values closer to 0.Eeverything else has a value much closer to 1 like cement, water, ice, and stone. Remember, infrared thermometers cannot reliably tell you internal temperature only surface temperature.
I have two editor's picks.
The first one goes to the Fluke 561 HVAC Pro Infrared Thermometer. To me, this is an outstanding outdoor infrared thermometer that anyone who needs to measure accurate temperature should have.
It has been approved by numerous regulation bodies. It has one of the most innovative lasers and lens technology apparatus. It has a great battery life, reasonable price tag, and very easy to use. What is there not to love.
For human body temperatures, my pick is the Digital Infrared Forehead Thermometer No-Touch Thermometer from JUNWER. This super affordable product is advantageous in the virus pandemic we are living in. You can take the temperature quietly and quickly with this fantastic tool. It incredibly accurate as the values only show a variation of .1 degrees Fahrenheit.
Along with practicing social distancing, we must pay attention to our health.
We must notice if we are developing any fatigue, muscle pain, and, more importantly, fever.
I hope our infrared thermometer review and buying guide helps to narrow down your choices. Having an excellent infrared thermometer can help you with many tasks in the kitchen, outdoors, and even in the bathroom.
There are those specialized for outdoor tasks and those specialized for medical jobs. Many of them fall in between that spectrum.
All the products on our list have been reviewed and stacked up to industry standards.
Good luck with your search. If you still need any more information, please click on the Amazon supplier links for more details.
Dr. CHRISTIAN-JEVON BRAMWELL MD
Christian Bramwell, MD uses his own weight loss story as teaching for people struggling with their own weight through blogging, teaching, and writing. His mission in life is to promote health and education, that is why he has chosen to be a family physician and found his own nonprofit Project RAK based on education and empowerment.
NPI (Doctor proof number) - 1336632918 NPI Number: