In every house, there is a waste of food. Most of the people find it annoying & difficult to dispose of food leftovers in the correct way. Here comes the garbage disposal machine for solving your problem. To avoid health issues, it is important to have a garbage disposal installed in your kitchen. There are hundreds of different garbage disposal models in the market. After a lot of research, here we are describing 17 best garbage disposal machines. Keep reading because this article will help you to choose the best model for your unique need.
We did a lot of research to compare the qualities of garbage disposals side by side. In below chart, you will find the comparison of top rated 10 garbage disposals in the market.
Top 10 Bestseller In The Market
[amazon bestseller=”best garbage disposal” items=”10″]
17 Best Garbage Disposal Reviews
Table of Contents
- 1 17 Best Garbage Disposal Reviews
- 1.1 1. InSinkErator Evolution Excel 1.0 HP
- 1.2 Pros
- 1.3 Cons
- 1.4 2. InSinkErator Evolution Compact ¾ HP
- 1.5 Pros
- 1.6 Cons
- 1.7 3. InSinkErator Essential XTR 3/4 HP
- 1.8 Pros
- 1.9 Cons
- 1.10 4. Waste King L-8000 Garbage Disposal
- 1.11 Pros
- 1.12 Cons
- 1.13 5. InSinkErator Evolution Septic Assist 3/4 HP
- 1.14 Pros
- 1.15 Cons
- 1.16 6. Waste King L-1001 Garbage Disposal, 1/2 HP
- 1.17 Pros
- 1.18 Cons
- 1.19 7. Waste King Legend Series 3/4 HP (L-3300)
- 1.20 Pros
- 1.21 Cons
- 1.22 8. InSinkErator Cover Control plus Evolution 3/4 HP
- 1.23 Pros
- 1.24 Cons
- 1.25 9. InSinkErator GID-143011 Badger 5, 1/2 HP Food Waste Disposer
- 1.26 Pros
- 1.27 Cons
- 1.28 10. Moen GXS75C GX Series 3/4 HP Garbage Disposal
- 1.29 Pros
- 1.30 Cons
- 1.31 11. Waste King Legend Series 1/2 HP Power Cord-(L-2600)
- 1.32 Pros
- 1.33 Cons
- 1.34 12. Waste King 3/4 HP Garbage Disposal with Power Cord – (L-3200)
- 1.35 Pros
- 1.36 Cons
- 1.37 13. Kitchen Aid (84211643) KCDB250G 1/2 HP Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal
- 1.38 Pros
- 1.39 Cons
- 1.40 14. General Electric GFC520V 1/2 Horsepower Continuous Feed Disposal
- 1.41 Pros
- 1.42 Cons
- 1.43 15. Waste King L-111 Garbage Disposal
- 1.44 Pros
- 1.45 Cons
- 1.46 16. KitchenAid Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal
- 1.47 Pros
- 1.48 Cons
- 1.49 17. InSinkErator PRO1100XL Garbage Disposal 1.1HP
- 1.50 Pros
- 1.51 Cons
- 1.52 What is Garbage disposal?
- 1.53 Which Garbage Disposal do I need?
- 1.54 How noisy are garbage disposals?
- 1.55 How much food waste do you produce?
- 1.56 How long does a typical garbage disposal last?
- 1.57 How strong do you want your motor?
- 1.58 Garbage disposal switches & connections
- 1.59 Quiet operation garbage disposals
- 1.60 What size should your sink garbage disposal be?
- 1.61 Garbage disposal leaking from bottom
- 1.62 Garbage disposal Direct Wired vs Plug-In
- 1.63 Basic Questions You Need to Ask Yourself before Buying a Garbage Disposal
- 1.64 Who makes the best garbage disposals?
- 1.65 VIDEO: How to clean a garbage disposal?
- 1.66 How to remove, replace & install a garbage disposal?
- 1.67 VIDEO: How does a garbage disposal work?
- 1.68 Do garbage disposal blades wear out?
- 1.69 How expensive it to replace a garbage disposal?
- 1.70 Does a plumber or electrician install a garbage disposal?
- 1.71 When should a garbage disposal be replaced?
- 1.72 Do you need to empty garbage disposal?
- 1.73 Do plumbers fix garbage disposals?
- 1.74 What should you not put down a garbage disposal?
- 1.75 What do I need to install a garbage disposal?
- 1.76 Can you burn out a garbage disposal?
- 1.77 What causes a garbage disposal to leak from the bottom?
- 1.78 Can you remove a garbage disposal?
- 1.79 How Are Garbage Disposal Units Environmentally Friendly?
- 1.80 What is the Popular garbage disposal brand?
- 1.81 Maintenance Instruction of Garbage Disposal
Below describing 17 garbage disposal reviews so that you know the necessary things before purchasing the best waste disposal. Hope, you can find the most convenient way to get rid of food waste from your kitchen.
1. InSinkErator Evolution Excel 1.0 HP
This InSinkErator Evolution Excel is high-performance kitchen disposal & proper addition in a well-equipped kitchen. This garbage disposal is equipped with a strong motor & sleek design, which is perfect for a well-endowed kitchen. Evolution Excel 1.0 HP garbage disposal is only for those who only like to enjoy the best kitchen appliances.
- Soundseal technology– InSinkErator’s patented sound seal technology makes this disposal unit one of the quietest garbage disposals in the market. Soundseal technology is a combination of advanced insulation, anti-vibration mount & tailpipe. This technology is installed in the machine. This delivers quiet performance & helps to reduce noise from the machine.
- Multigrind technology– With this technology, the machine grinds any type of food waste in three grinding stages. Banana peels, bones, hard vegetables & all food breaks down in small particles that are easily washed away.
- Auto reverse grind system– This system helps the disposer to reverse action when there is a possibility to jam the disposer. When auto reverse grinding activates, the motor automatically adjusts the torque.
- Jam-Censor– There is a jam sensor. This automatically increases torque 500% to break through a tough jam.
- Induction Motor– Induction motor of this 1 HP garbage disposal is so strong & high performer. There is no power cord. The power of the induction motor is felt when it performs at its full speed. It is powerful enough to pulverize any hard food waste into a near liquid stage.
- Chamber Capacity & durability– 40 OZ stainless steel grind chamber allows a large amount of food waste. This size grind chamber is perfect for a big household where a lot of food waste happens. Grinding chamber is a stainless steel component. So it is resistant to corrosion & durable.
- Easy to Install– Quick-lock mechanism makes it simple to install almost anywhere. You just have to unscrew the old model & screw the new model in it.
- Manual reset button– A manual reset button can reset the disposal if there is overload or any system issue.
- Super quiet
- Strong motor
- Well-designed waste grinding system
- Un-Jam censor
- Spacious grind chamber
- High quality & durable components
InSinkErator garbage disposal is worth every penny because you are making an investment to make your home more comfortable. Lastly, with all the good features, if something goes wrong then you have 7 years InSinkErator’s warranty to back you up. We highly recommend this garbage disposal for your kitchen.
2. InSinkErator Evolution Compact ¾ HP
If you are a person who needs powerful & compact garbage disposal, then InSinkErator Evolution Compact Household Garbage Disposal is the one you need. The space-saving design feature is perfect for a small kitchen. With all the top-notch technologies, this can be one of the most ideal choices for kitchen garbage disposal.
- Easy installation– Quick lock sink mount allows easy installation & disposal replacement. All the Quick-lock components come packed in a box. So it’s easy to upgrade or replace your disposal. The machine size allows you to fit in a small kitchen under the sink.
- Multi-grind technology– There are 2 stage grinding technology which ensures break down of difficult food scraps to a fine pulp. These small food particles easily get washed away.
- Quiet performance– This garbage disposal utilizes components of soundseal technology. This technology ensures no additional noise during food waste disposal procedure in the kitchen.
- High-quality chamber Capacity– This machine has a moderate chamber capacity of 36.5 oz. Stainless steel components with a leak guard liner provide high quality & resistant to corrosion creates from minerals & water exposure.
- High Power motor– The 3/ 4 HP garbage disposal is long lasing & high powerful.. Power through foods like small bones, peels, vegetables & leftovers, with ease.
- Manual Reset Button– If there is overload, then there is a manual reset button to reset the system. This avoids the additional risk of jamming the section.
- Multi-grind technology
- Quiet & consistent performance
- Spacious chamber capacity
- Durable stainless steel component
- Grinding capability is great
- Space saving size
Overall, this is a functional & high tech InSinkErator disposal. If you have enough budget & you want multifunctional garbage disposal then this is your machine. This silent but deadly machine can be a perfect addition for your kitchen maintenance.
3. InSinkErator Essential XTR 3/4 HP
The InSinkErator Essential XTR Household Garbage Disposer is a new garbage disposal with wide range of functions. 3/ 4 horsepower dura-drive motor, multi-grind technology & soundseal technology creates more value for this machine. The garbage disposal is structured to handle even the toughest food scraps. XTR means you get extra accessories like a SinkTop switch & a power cord.
- Powerful motor– The 3/ 4 horsepower dura-drive motor is prepared to handle any toughest food scraps with maintenance-free performance.
- Soundseal technology– Soundseal technology ensures quieter performance. Advance level insulation, vibration reducing connections & a special collar sink baffle blocks the noise coming through the sink. So there is no irritating sound to bother you.
- Chamber capacity & components– The machine has a large volume of grind chamber as 34.6 oz. Stainless steel components are resistant to corrosion. This improves the durability of the machine.
- Grinding stages– There are 2 stages of grinding food scraps in small particles. Foods such as small bones, vegetables, peels, celery & leftovers smoothly breaks down through the grinding stages & get easily washed away.
- Continuous feed– Continuous feed system allows the machine to grind the food scraps continuously until it is turned off. It helps to avoid jamming the sewerage line.
- Warranty– There is 6 years manufacturer’s warranty including coming to home service. So this works as an extra comfort while you use.
- Sleek design & space saving
- Spacious grinding chamber
- Continuous feed
- Powerful grinding
- Durable & well built
- Affordable price
- Bigger size
Overall, this is an effective & quiet garbage disposal. It chops everything that goes in it. There are other models in the market but this disposal unit has a very affordable price. If you have a spacious kitchen then easily you can set this machine under the sink of your kitchen.
4. Waste King L-8000 Garbage Disposal
Waste king L-8000 garbage disposal is powerful food disposal to keep your kitchen & sink clean. Sleek design & top notch technology ensure more space & comfort in the kitchen. A lot of features make this garbage disposal machine as one of the most favorite among users.
- Easy to install– This has a twist & lock design which provides fast & easy installation process. For installation, all the necessary hardware is provided like- screwdriver, adjustable pliers, plumbers putty, hammer, 32-inch power cord, etc.
- Removable splashguard– This sink disposal item has removable splashguard. This helps for easy cleaning procedure & retrieve dropped items.
- High-speed motor– It has a high-speed motor with 1 Horsepower & 2800 RPM. The permanent magnet motor instantly can achieve full speed. This reduces the risk of a jam.
- Manual reset button– There is an additional safety feature as a manual reset button. If there is an overload or any rare jam, then you can reset the device with the manual button.
- Continuous feed disposal– Continuous food disposal starts with a wall switch. You can continuously put food wastes while operating the disposal unit. It saves your time & in the long run, you can save money because electricity consumption is minimal.
- Durability– High strength & corrosion proof polymer grind chamber components are stainless steel material & very lightweight. Powerful stainless swivel impellers cut the food waste. High-quality components make the garbage disposer more durable.
- Noise– People who use noisy food disposals, will find this as a quiet garbage disposal. Considering the power of the motor, the sound is minimal. There is sound insulation system to reduce the noise level significantly. The EZ mount uses rubber cushion to hold the mounting & this also helps to reduce the sound level.
- Saving– Powerful motor grinds quickly & run time also shorter. This helps to lower the electricity bill.
- Durable stainless steel materials
- High speed & strong motor
- Easy cleaning
- Power saver
- Affordable price
- Easy installation
- This disposal is loud
This garbage disposal performs well though it is a little bit loud. If you don’t have the cash flow for more extraordinary features then this a worthwhile alternative. For your inner peace, you can think about the 20 years warranty from the manufacturer. Clearly, within a tight budget, this is a great choice.
5. InSinkErator Evolution Septic Assist 3/4 HP
This InSinkErator Evolution septic is one of the most advanced garbage disposals available in the market. Powerful dura-drive induction motor & multi-grind technology helps to grind food items efficiently. Soundseal technology helps to eliminate sound which might be annoying to most of the people.
- Multi-Grind Technology– There are two grinding stages to break down food wastes into small particles. So there is less possibility of jamming the area because smaller particles easily get washed away.
- Quiet performance– Soundseal technology installed in this garbage disposal machine. This is a technology with advance level insulation, vibration reducing connections & a special quiet collar sink which blocks the noise coming through the sink. So this is a quiet garbage disposal.
- Dura- drive motor– ¾ Horsepower dura- drive induction motor is powerful which provides maintenance-free performance.
- Easy installation– 3-bolt Quick lock easy installation sink mount allows easy installation & disposal replacement. This sink food grinder is compatible with most three bolt mounting assemblies.
- Bio-Charge Injection– When the septic assist activates to break down food wastes then automatically injects enzyme producing micro-organisms. This bio-charge technology helps to break down the food waste & control odors.
- High-quality grind chamber – You can grind a large amount of food waste because of 40 oz grind chamber. Stainless steel components are resistant to corrosion which happens because of minerals & water exposure.
- Manual reset button– There is a manual reset button. In case if there is an overload then this manual button can reset the system.
- Warranty- InSinkErator provides 4 years warranty for this machine. It is one of the best investment in the market.
- ¾ horsepower dura-drive motor
- High quality grind chamber
- Quiet performance
- 2 different grinding stages
- Bio- charge technology
- Heats up Easy installation processquickly
- This disposal is bulky & space consuming
All in all, we recommend this garbage disposer if you have a good amount of space under your sink. A lot of quality features are encouraging & quiet performance may inspire you to buy this one. If you have a good budget & free space in the kitchen, then it is an ideal choice.
6. Waste King L-1001 Garbage Disposal, 1/2 HP
This is another Waste king garbage disposal which is simple to install & reliable. This is suitable even in a small kitchen. The L-1001 compact & powerful disposal can easily keep your kitchen & sink clean. The energy efficient & high-speed motor tackle all food scrap with the impressive grind.
- High-Speed Motor– This is a 1/2HP garbage disposal with 2600 RPM can get the full speed almost in a matter of seconds. The permanent magnet motor can break down any hard kitchen food scrap almost instantly. For this, there is less risk of a jam. Also, electricity bill becomes low for potential shorter run time.
- Continuous feed disposal– The continuous feed disposal continuously grinds the food waste which is activated via a wall switch. The machine will run until you turn it off.
- Easy installation & cleaning– Waste King’s EZ mount for a twist & lock design makes the installation process easy. Also, there is a removable splashguard for the easy cleaning process.
- Chamber Capacity & components– High strength, corrosion proof polymer grind chamber capacity ensures a good amount of food waste processing at the same time. Chamber components are stainless steel material & durable.
- Compact & space saving– This Waste king disposal’s sleek design saves space & can fit any small kitchen under the sink. Also, the machine is lightweight in comparison to the other models available in the market.
- Using a septic system– The machine is perfectly suitable to use with septic tanks which should be proper size for your home.
- Sleek design & space saving
- Removable & adjustable splashguard
- Fairly quiet performance
- Fitting is great enough to be leak proof
- Affordable price
- Vibration is less
- The rubber ring is difficult to attach
If your kitchen is small, then this compact garbage disposal is a good option for your kitchen. You can set it easily in the kitchen under the sink. It is a little bit louder but not harsh. We recommend this garbage disposal for a small family. As a low budget disposal machine, this product won’t disappoint.
7. Waste King Legend Series 3/4 HP (L-3300)
Waste king legend series garbage disposal is a compact & powerful disposal to keep your kitchen clean. Sleek design & space saving feature makes this machine more attractive to garbage disposal users. This energy efficient & high-speed motor machine tackles everyday food scraps with the impressive grind.
- Fast & easy installation– There is Waste King’s EZ mount twist-and-lock design which ensures easy installation & replacing the disposal also easy. All the necessary hardware is provided including 32’’ power cord.
- Removable splash guard– The splash guard is removable & replaceable. This makes the cleaning procedure easy & retrieve dropped items.
- Septic tank– This Waste King garbage disposal is safe to use with a septic tank but you need to ensure that the tank is perfect size for your home. This is more safe & easy to use.
- Continuous feed– There is a continuous feed system in this garbage disposal. This activates via a wall switch & runs until the machine is turned off. This function saves your time because you can constantly put food wastes into the disposal unit while can continue other work at the same time.
- High-Speed motor– The high-speed motor is 3/ 4 horsepower with 2700 RPM. The permanent magnet motor is soundless & achieves full speed almost instantly for grinding food scraps into smaller particles. This reduces the possibility of jamming the motor.
- High-quality components– All grinding components are stainless steel. High strength & polymer proof chamber is resistant to rust also which increases the durability of the machine.
- Manual Reset Button– This is an additional safety feature. This button will shut off the machine if there is an overload of food scraps. You can revert the system easily by just pressing the manual reset button.
- Instructions are clear & easy to follow
- Removable & adjustable splashguard
- Pretty quiet performance
- Durable stainless steel component
- Continuous feed system
- Affordable price
- Pipe adapter need to improve quality
If you have a tight budget then we recommend this kitchen sink grinder. All the necessary functions you can get from this disposal machine & it is well worth the price. Also, you should get 10 years manufacturer’s warranty. Great, isn’t it!
8. InSinkErator Cover Control plus Evolution 3/4 HP
InSinkErator cover control plus evolution kitchen garbage disposal unit is engineered to handle tough food wastes & do it quietly. A powerful 3/ 4 horsepower motor, multi-grind technology & patented soundseal technology ensures more efficient performance.
- Quick Lock Sink Mount– This 3- bolt quick lock sink mount allows for easy installation. Most three bolt mounting assemblies compatible with it.
- Multi-grind Technology– Multi-grind technology ensures food waste break down in 2 stages. When the food waste breaks down in smaller particles, then it is easier to get washed away.
- 3/ 4 Induction Motor– Highly powerful 3/ 4 horsepower dura-drive induction motor can grind almost any difficult food waste.
- Chamber capacity– A large amount of food waste can process in its 40 oz grind chamber. Chamber materials are stainless steel components. Stainless steel is corrosion resistant & increases the durability of the machine.
- Covered operation with extra assurance-This is a batch feed garbage disposal. Magnetic cover start activation means a wall switch is not required. A chrome-plated die-cast zinc stopper holds back water when need. It only turns on the disposal when manually activated.
- Soundseal technology– Soundseal technology ensures ultra-quiet performance. This eliminates the bothering of additional noise of food waste processing.
- Manual Reset Button– In any case of overload, a convenient manual reset button resets the system. So there is no risk of jamming the disposal system because of the overload of food waste.
- Soundseal technology removes sound
- Manual reset button
- Spacious chamber capacity
- 2 different grinding stages
- High power motor
- Easy installation & cleaning process
Lastly, this InSinkErator disposal is a great option for your kitchen waste solution. It is very safe to use. Top notch technology & durability makes this food waste disposal very favorable among the users.
9. InSinkErator GID-143011 Badger 5, 1/2 HP Food Waste Disposer
Badger InSinkErator 5 household food waste disposer offers reliability & durability at an affordable price. It has ½ HP dura-drive induction motor which effectively grinds a large amount of food waste in a short period. Rugged & galvanized steel construction provides durability & long-lasting toughness.
- Compact & space saving– The garbage disposer has a compact & space saving design. It helps to provide more spaces under the kitchen sink. Moderate size grind chamber as 26 oz ensures food waste grinding in the right amount.
- Easy installation & replacement– This InSinkErator garbage disposal has a Quick-Lock mounting system for easy installation. When it is time to upgrade or replace the waste disposer, simply twist off the old mount & twist on the new one.
- Durable components– Rugged & galvanized steel components ensure durability & dependable grinding experience for everyday food scraps. Delivers consistent & maintenance free performance year after year. The power cord is not included. We recommend, InSinkErator power cord accessory CRD-00.
- Continuous feed disposal– Continuous feed garbage disposals are ideal for processing a large amount of food waste. The machine continues operating until you turn off the machine. Easily grinds food scraps like eggshell, celery stalks, vegetables, small bones, etc.
- Warranty– This InSinkErator model provides exclusive ‘We come to you’ home warranty for 2 years. This is a really comfortable addition from the manufacturer. The machine assembled in the USA with American Pride.
- Offers quieter performance
- Durable & long lasting
- Continuous feed
- Soundseal technology offers quiet performance
- Very compact
- Multi-grind technology
- Power cord not included
There is no question about the quality of this disposal machine. Some may have confusion about price but when you are buying such a high-quality garbage disposal unit, price should not be a bigger concern. This is a good choice if you have the right budget.
10. Moen GXS75C GX Series 3/4 HP Garbage Disposal
If you want to maintain a clean & tidy kitchen in a moderate budget then Moen GXS75C won’t disappoint you. This is a high power garbage disposal with a quiet grinding process & easy to install. Among its good qualities, this compact garbage disposal is sturdy, easy to use, great design & easy to install.
- Permanent magnet motor– It has 3/ 4 horsepower magnet motor with 2700 RPM. The professional grade motor can grind the toughest food scraps safely & reduces the risk of jamming.
- Continuous feed– Continuously break down food scraps as long as the machine is turned on. So there is less risk of jamming the sewerage because of continuous grinding. Stainless steel grind components maintain consistent grinding performance.
- Easy to install- Universal express mount simplifies the installation process. Just locate the garbage disposal under your kitchen sink, twist & lock it into the place. This is compatible with most 3 bolt mounting assemblies.
- Removable splash guard– There is convenient removable splash guard for easy look up at the grinding area. Remove the splash guard for cleaning the area.
- Noise-free performance– Uniquely designed sound shield helps to reduce the noise without sacrificing its performance.
- Pre-installed power cord– No need to purchase additional power cord because the power cord is pre-installed in this model. This saves time & money of the user.
- Warranty– There is 5 years manufacturer warranty for parts replacement with home service. This may give you more comfort while using without tension.
- Removable splash guard
- Pre-installed power cord
- Continuous feed
- Easy to install
- Continuous feed
- High quality stainless steel components
- Little bit loud
This Moen garbage disposal is a good package of quality within a cheap price. All necessary & comfortable functions are available in it. You can easily fit into a small kitchen & it will take care of all your food wastes.
11. Waste King Legend Series 1/2 HP Power Cord-(L-2600)
Waste king legend series kitchen disposal is a perfect addition in any kitchen for waste disposal. This garbage disposal is super easy to install & easy to use. The noise level is lower enough to say it comfortable. Space-saving sleek design & top-notch features are the highlights of this garbage disposal machine.
- High- Speed motor– The high speed & powerful motor is 1/2 horsepower & 2600 RPM. The permanent magnet motor gets the full speed almost instantly. This motor can easily grind any type of food scraps within a short time.
- Easy installation– For easy installation, Waste King’s EZ mount twist-and-lock design provides a fast & easy way. Necessary hardware like screwdrivers, adjustable pliers, plumbers putty, hammer & 32’’ power cord is included in the package.
- Energy & money saving– The powerful Waste king motor run time is shorter. It reduces your footprint & additional electricity bill.
- Removable splash guard– The removable & adjustable splash guard helps for the easy cleaning process of this garbage disposal machine. Sometimes, you can look into the disposal grinder by removing the splash guard.
- Continuous feed– The continuous feed disposal activates via a wall switch & runs until it shuts down.
- Durable components– Grind components are corrosion proof polymer & stainless steel materials. This stainless steel is resistant to rust. So this Waste King food disposal machine is more durable.
- Manual Reset Button– In the case of overload of food scraps, there is a manual reset button. When there is overload or risk of jamming, then you just need to press the manual reset button. The system will reset afterward.
- High speed & powerful motor
- Removable & adjustable splashguard
- Clear instructions & Installation is quicker
- Durable stainless steel component
- Continuous feed system
- Affordable price
- Water draining is tad bit slower
This is a popular disposal unit among the users. It’s rare to find a better quality garbage disposal in this price range. Also, because of details instruction, the functions are easily understandable. Overall, this product is worth the money.
12. Waste King 3/4 HP Garbage Disposal with Power Cord – (L-3200)
Waste King 3/ 4 HP garbage disposal is an excellent addition of Waste King brand. Their name is trusted among consumers & this time also they did not disappoint us. The L-3200 has a motor of 3/ 4 HP that reaches up to 2700 RPM. This can grind almost all the food scraps of a family of 4-5 persons.
- Sleek design & compact size– The design feature of this disposal unit is very sleek & compact. You can easily fit into a small kitchen under the sink.
- Easy installation– Waste King’s EZ sink mount system makes it easy to install all by yourself. Installation process clearly described in the manual. When you need to remove the disposal, you just need to put it in the mounting & remove the disposal.
- High-Speed Motor– The garbage disposal has a high speed 3/ 4 HP permanent magnet motor which can reach up to 2700 RPM almost instantly. The Swivel impeller’s spinning can grind any type of food item you put into it. This reduces the risk of jamming the area.
- Septic Tank usage– This Waste King garbage disposal is safe to use with septic tank which is properly sized to your home.
- Removable splash guard– The removable & replaceable splash guard is helpful if you want to look inside the disposal or for easy cleaning. While grinding, it prevents to come out any garbage disposal.
- Sound– This is not the quietest garbage disposal in the market but the sound level is very minimum. You can easily go with the amount of sound that it creates an operating time.
- Warranty– There are 8 years of limited in-home warranty. So you don’t have to call a plumber & pay extra money for any additional service. Comparing to the other disposals in the market, it is a pretty big warranty.
- Easy to install
- Cheaper than most of 3/4 HP disposal
- Removable splash guard
- Tolerable sound level
- Good for heavy use
- Long warranty
- No sound insulation
Lastly, some high price kitchen sink disposal may provide you different features & less noise but regarding the operation, this Waste King 3/ 4 HP garbage disposal provides almost the same quality. If you don’t want to spend a lot of money then this Waste King is a perfect option for you.
13. Kitchen Aid (84211643) KCDB250G 1/2 HP Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal
If you need garbage disposal that represents the highest level of quality then Kitchen Aid KCDB250G 1/2 HP Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal is the right choice for you. The best qualities of this KitchenAid garbage disposal are power, grinding efficiency, durability, design & easy installation process.
- Motor performance– The motor is 1/2 horsepower that can reach up to 1725 RPM. The motor is powerful enough to effortlessly tackle tougher food scraps. The blades & grinding chamber components are durable stainless steel which is resistant to corrosion.
- Continuous feed– This is continuous feed disposal which makes the cleanup very easy after the meal. Food waste grinding & disposal process runs until you turn off the machine. This reduces the amount of time you spent in the kitchen.
- Easy Installation– Installing this garbage disposal is easy as it has a three bolt mounting system. If you are a first timer then it can be confusing though. Before starting the installation process, you need to thoroughly study the instruction details.
- Design– KitchenAid products are always good looking & well made. Besides the amazing look, the garbage disposal is very well made & strong.
- Sound level– There is little bit sound are grinding period but it is not so high. It is not quiet like the machines with soundseal technology but the noise is definitely in an acceptable range.
- Safety– Safety features are great in this machine. A rubber safety cap, splash guard, a manual reset feature ensure the safe use of the disposal unit.
- Convenient design
- Manual reset button for overload protection
- Continuous feed disposal
- Tolerable sound level
- Good value for money purchase
- Tolerable sound level
- Short warranty period
Finally, we saw a lot of mixed reviews about the Kitchen Aid KCDB250G but as per our experience, most of the comments are overreacting. If you a spacious kitchen & small budget then it might be an option for your kitchen garbage problem solution.
14. General Electric GFC520V 1/2 Horsepower Continuous Feed Disposal
General Electric GFC520V 1/2 Horsepower kitchen sink grinder is a useful item to keep your kitchen clean from rotten food wastes. This 1/2 HP food disposal is one of those quality products which grabs your attention with beautiful design, strong making & useful features.
- High-Speed Motor– This is a 1/2 HP motor with 2800 RPM. The speed reaches almost instantly to the maximum after you turn on the switch. 1/2 HP garbage disposals are sufficient for a small family but this motor is efficient enough to grind the food scraps of a family with a 5-6 person.
- Convenient design– Design of General Electric’s appliance is always lucrative. The machine is made of cold roll carbon steel & the grinding components are rust resistant stainless steel. In case of overload, you can easily reach the manual reset button because it is not placed under the garbage disposal.
- Easy Installation– The disposal has EZ mounting system & the mounting placed with two bolt system. There are clear instruction details in the manual to complete the installation. Besides, General Electric put the video on their site. We recommend you to study the instruction details before starting the installation.
- Removable splash guard– Removable splash guard helps to clean the disposal unit. By removing the splash guard, you can look into the garbage disposal. Also, there is a stopper for convenient operation.
- Sound level– There is a little bit sound while operating the garbage disposal unit. But the sound is not so noisy & it is absolutely tolerable.
- Grinding components & durability– Anti-jam grinding blades & stainless steel grinding components ensure durability. If you keep it clean & don’t misuse, then you can use it for a long period of time. You get the warranty of 1-year limited replacement & 1-year additional limited parts which is fair enough for high-quality garbage disposal like this.
- Easy to install
- High quality grind components & durable
- Strong motor
- Tolerable sound level
- Removable splash guard
- Good value for money
- Short warranty period
Overall, in a short budget, you can get this garbage disposal with a lot of useful functions. If you are looking for a 1/2 HP garbage disposal then General Electric GFC520V is a considerable option for you. If you can accept the sound factor, this disposal unit won’t disappoint you.
15. Waste King L-111 Garbage Disposal
Waste King is known for making budget-friendly products. L-111 garbage disposal is a perfect low budget machine for a small family. There is enough quality & you will find the necessary features for disposing of the food scraps of your kitchen. This compact & efficient garbage disposal machine is suitable to fit in a small kitchen under your sink.
- High- Speed motor– The 1/3 HP permanent magnet motor can reach up to 1900 RPM almost instantly you turn on the switch. But you can’t overload the grinding chamber with a lot of bones because it has a limited grinding capacity with 1/3 HP motor. Try to avoid putting hard food wastes into it.
- Easy installation– Installation of Waste King L-111 is easy with the EZ mount system. You just need to mount the system with the sink. Then place the disposal to the mount & lock it. If you need to replace the disposal, you only need to unlock the mounting & replace. There is a pre-installed power cord. No electrical work required.
- Continuous feed disposal– Continuous feed disposal ensures continuous grinding process while it is turned on. This function reduces the risk of overload or jam.
- Compact & Lightweight– The disposal unit is very compact & lightweight which saves a lot of space. It can fit in any small kitchen under the sink.
- Durability & Quality- The outside of the disposal is plastic but the grinding chamber is made of high-quality stainless steel. This is resistant to corrosion hence more durable.
- Sound level– This is not the quietest garbage disposal machine in the market. But the sound is quite tolerable for its budget according to the users.
- Galvanized steel construction
- Compact size & space saving
- Affordable price
- Power cord included
- Removable splash guard & stopper
- Best for small budget
- Small grinding space makes the disposal time lengthy
Lastly, this is perfect for a small family of 2-3 persons & it requires less budget. The performance of this machine is impressive but you should not overload it with hard food wastes. If a 1/3 HP garbage disposal is enough for your need, then you can confidently go for it.
16. KitchenAid Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal
KitchenAid Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal has enough power to pulverize food scraps of any kitchen. It has spacious grind chamber which is able to process a large volume of food wastes at a time. Top notch technology & attractive features make this garbage disposal preferable among the users.
- High Power motor– This garbage disposal unit is powered by 3/4 HP motor. RPM can reach up to 1725 which is a good speed for a small disposal machine.
- Quiet Performance– Soundseal technology ensures quiet performance from the food disposal unit. You can run the machine without even disturbing your conversation.
- Multi-grind technology– Grinding process happens in 2 stages. So even the toughest food scraps grind easily in the machine & get washed away.
- Continuous feed disposal– Continuous feed allows continuing grinding process after you turn on the machine. Grinding will continue until the machine is turned off. This helps for quick clean up after meals & reduces the possibility of unnecessary jam.
- Grinding components– Grinding components are durable stainless steel. Also this stainless steel is rust proof which is helpful for longevity of the product.
- Manual reset button– In case of overload, there is a manual reset button. You just need to restart the machine if any overload happens at the grinding chamber. This helps to avoid the jam.
- Very quiet performance
- Installation is easy
- Affordable price
- Great quality & well made
- Removable splash guard
- No vibration
- Large size & need a spacious kitchen
Finally, we can say, this is a quality product with some good features in it. If you have an open kitchen, then you can install this garbage disposal unit easily under your kitchen sink. Works great as standard KitchenAid product.
17. InSinkErator PRO1100XL Garbage Disposal 1.1HP
InSinkErator PRO1100XL Garbage Disposal is one of the most powerful disposers in the market. This high quality & durable garbage disposal unit is one of the most expensive food disposal machines in the market. Undoubtedly, this is ideal for a big family because it has the strongest motor & spacious grinding chamber for processing a lot of food wastes.
- Powerful motor– The motor is powerful with 1.1 HP dura-drive induction motor. This powerful motor can break down any toughest food scraps into small particles.
- Multi-grind technology– This InSinkErator food waste disposal uses three stage multi grind process in order to break down food waste. It smashes everything that is put into it. Its continuous feed disposal keeps running while you feed food waste into it. Also, there is an auto-reverse grind system which ensures grinding even the smallest part of the food scrap.
- Quiet performance– When the machine works, it creates almost zero sound. The sink baffle has a patented quiet collar. This combines with soundseal technology which makes the machine fully quiet while operating.
- Grinding chamber– Grind chamber is spacious & capable to grind the large volume of food scraps at a time. This is large enough to manage the food waste of a large family.
- Design & Installation– This garbage disposal design is outstanding & doesn’t take too much space under the kitchen sink. The installation process is easier because of the clear instruction manual. The ‘Frustration Free’ certification also ensures that as well. Also, the machine has a jam sensor circuit feature which ensures jam-free performance.
- Durability– stainless steel grind components are resistant to corrosion & dust. You won’t find any plastic anywhere. This ensures durability more than any other disposal machine in the market.
- Super quiet performance
- Takes very little space under the sink
- Full body stainless steel
- Great quality & well made
- Continuous feed system
- Powerful motor
- The baffle slows the draining process slightly
Lastly, we believe InSinkErator PRO1100XL Garbage Disposal is worth every penny you spend. It has amazing quality with lots of good features. If you have lots of food scraps at your place, you can purchase it without a doubt because it has a ‘frustration-free’ certificate. It won’t disappoint you at your kitchen wastes proper disposal.
What is Garbage disposal?
Garbage disposal is a machine that is generally installed under the kitchen sink between the sink’s drain & the trap. The machine grinds the food wastes into small particles generally less than 2mm & pass the grinded wastes through the plumbing. For the waste management of the kitchen, there is no alternative to garbage disposal nowadays. You need to find the one that is perfect for your unique needs.
Which Garbage Disposal do I need?
We designed this website to help you find the best garbage disposal unit for your kitchen maintenance. Your lifestyle, budget, family size all matters as a deciding factor for buying a garbage disposal. If you search on the internet, you will find hundreds of different models & you will confuse yourself. Sometimes, the most popular one may not be the most perfect model for your need. We are here to help you to decide the best option for you. For choosing the best disposal, you will find all the necessary details in this article.
You need to know below questions answer for understanding the machine configuration & the type of your need.
How noisy are garbage disposals?
-There are garbage disposals which create a lot of sounds & which do not create any sound at all. It is understandable that quiet garbage disposal is preferable to everyone. Because there is sound seal technology installed in the machine.
Almost all InSinkErator models have soundseal technology. But when you want this technology in your machine, you need to pay a little bit high price to buy the machine. There are some models in the market like KitchenAid or General Electric models which will provide machines with less price & also tolerable sound level. Depending on your budget, you need to decide one of these two criteria.
How much food waste do you produce?
-The volume of food waste is the deciding factor before buying a new garbage disposal. If your family is small with 2-3 persons then a medium size grinding chamber disposal machine should be enough for your need. The grinding chamber below 30 oz is considered as medium size chamber.
If you have a big family or if there are more food wastes at your place, then you need to choose higher capacity disposal. Normally, if the grinding chamber is above 34 oz then it is spacious enough to grind large volume food wastes at a time. So you need to understand the amount of food waste that happens at your house.
How long does a typical garbage disposal last?
-Some factors work for the durability of garbage disposal. Factors like the frequency of using the disposal, types of food wastes through the machine, whether or not properly care for continuing the service, these all factors work behind the durability of garbage disposal. We can give you a general idea that in an average family if cleaning & maintenance is proper then the average garbage disposal can last up to 10- 12 years. Food scraps like bones may disrupt the functionality & reduce the life span of garbage disposal. So, we always recommend to not put small bones in the garbage disposal unit.
How strong do you want your motor?
-This is very important to understand the strength of the motor of the food disposal. Motor strength requirement is not the same for all the family. It depends on the type of food waste. Normally in the market, there are 1/3 HP, 1/2 HP, 3/4 HP & 1 HP motor in the market.
- 1/3 Horsepower- If you have a small family of 1-2 persons & only soft food scraps like vegetables, then this 1/3 HP motor is enough for your food waste processing. This is the lowest power motor available in the market. A good example is Waste King L-111.
- 1/2 Horsepower-Understandably, this is a more powerful motor than 1/3 HP. But still, the power of this motor is limited. Family of 2-3 persons is suitable for this type of motor garbage disposal. We recommend to not put any small bones in it for the longevity of the machine.
- 3/4 Horsepower- This is an average motor capacity & most popular among the users. 3/4 horsepower motor is powerful enough to process kitchen food scraps of a family consisting of 4-6 persons. Normally 3/4 HP motor garbage disposal machines have smart features like multi-grind technology or soundseal technology. We always recommend choosing a grinding component of stainless steel material.
- 1 Horsepower- This is a high power motor capacity & most suitable for families with a large volume of food waste. This motor is capable to tackle any toughest food scraps like bones or other tough items. Because of the powerful motor, this type of sink food grinder has less risk of jam & it also increases the longevity of the machine.
Garbage disposal switches & connections
There are different types of connections & adapters available in garbage disposal machines.
Some models have a power cord which connects with a nearby electric outlet. It is a little bit risky because when you turn on the switch & your hand is wet then you can take an electric shock.
Continuous feed models have an air switch or wall mount switch system. These switches are mounted on the nearby wall which is safer than the traditional power cord system because wall mount switches are far from an electric source. So there is almost no risk of electric shock. Batch feed garbage disposals don’t need any switch.
Then there is a wireless switch system. In this system, you need to plug the power module into the power supply socket just like connecting an adapter plug. After you push the button, it activates the power module which in turn activates the disposal machine.
Quiet operation garbage disposals
Garbage disposals have sound when they are operating. There are a lot of disposal machines in the market & every one of them has more or less sound. In recent years, because of implementing new technologies the noise has reduced significantly.
The noise happens because of the amount of vibration in the disposal. If there is soundseal technology in the machine then the noise will be very minimum which is avoidable. As well as it fits under the kitchen sink, the machine will vibrate less & the performance will be quieter. Before buying the disposal unit, check the sound dampening features of the machine. Most people prefer quiet operation garbage disposal but in most of the cases, if it is quieter then the price is more!
What size should your sink garbage disposal be?
What size garbage disposal you need depends on some factors. The number of the person in your family or volume of food waste in your house, these all are important to know for deciding the size garbage disposal. If your family is big then you need powerful disposal. For a small family, less power disposal will suffice. General estimate as below-
- Small family- Small family of 1 or 2 people can normally cover with a disposal unit of 1/3 HP induction motor.
- Medium family- A medium family of 3 to 5 people can generally cover with a disposal unit of 1/2 HP or 3/4 HP induction motor.
- Big family- If there are more than 6 persons in the house then 1 HP or 1.1 HP motor garbage disposal unit should be enough. This high power garbage disposal machines have many upgraded functions to tackle the toughest food scraps.
It is important to remember, every sink garbage disposal machine has its own capacity for food waste grinding. If the machine is overloaded, then it might disrupt normal functionality & reduce the longevity of the machine.
Garbage disposals are connected to the sink or plumber’s putty. If you notice the cabinet under your sink is wet then it’s possible that your disposal unit is leaking from the bottom. The leakage can happen from the bottom area, top area & side area of the garbage disposal.
Garbage disposal leakage from the bottom– If the machine leaks from the bottom then it is a real problem. If the internal seal breaks down then it will not be able to protect the motor. Because the protective shell will crack down. In this case, getting a new disposal machine will be the best option.
Garbage disposal leakage from the top– Garbage disposals are connected to the sink with flange or plumber’s putty. This seal is loosened because of corrosion. Sometimes, while doing other plumbing work under the sink, the disposal unit is hit hard. This also can cause leakage from the top. If this happens, then you need to detach the old disposal, clean off the putty & re-seal the garbage disposal.
Garbage disposal leakage from the side– There are two drain line connections at the side of your garbage disposal. The small drain connects the dishwasher drain line to the garbage disposal. The larger drain line connects the disposal unit to the sewerage. If the disposal unit leaks at the side then you may tighten the screws or reseal the connections to stop the leakage.
Important features to know
Septic system- Some garbage disposals are compatible to use with the septic tank. Before adjusting the disposal unit to the septic tank, be sure that your septic tank is properly sized for your home.
Anti-jam features- Some models have anti-jam feature. This function reduces the risk of jam at the grinding area & dispose of area. This is a nice option because all the garbage disposals have a tendency of a jam when the grind chamber overloads or too much hard food wastes. The anti-jam censor helps to adjust the motor torque to bust through the jam. This really helps to avoid disruption in the grinding process.
The Warranty- Though garbage disposal can run till 10 to 12 years but the warranty is always important for machines. Waste King is best in warranty. They will replace the machine for free if it is defective or if the machine fails for mechanical effort during the purchaser’s lifetime. InSinkErator normally provides a 7 years warranty period for ‘Evolution Excel’ model. For ‘Evolution Compact’ model they are providing 4 years warranty.
Normally, longer warranty indicates manufacturer’s high-level confidence in the product. It means the disposal has less possibility to have problems.
Two Basic Types
There are two basic types of kitchen disposal in the market. Both the types accomplish the food waste grinding function but functionally these two types are different. These are continuous feed disposal & batch feed disposal. Let’s take a closer look at both-
Continuous feed disposal-
These are the most common types available in the market. For start grinding, you need to turn on the electrical switch. There can be a power cord which is hard-wired into the garbage disposal & connected to the electric socket. There can be a wall switch or air switch which is far away from the sink. When the power is on, the disposal unit starts grinding food wastes. In continuous feed disposal, there is more risk of electric shock than batch feed disposals.
Batch Feed disposal-
Batch feed garbage disposals are safer than continuous feed disposal. There is a special stopper in batch feed disposals. When the stopper is placed in place, it activates a switch which allows the machine to start grinding in the grinding chamber. Though batch feed disposals are safer, it is frequently more expensive than continuous feed disposals.
Garbage disposal Direct Wired vs Plug-In
Garbage disposals are wired in one of the two ways. Either using an external power cord to start the disposer or they are hard-wired.
Plug-In power cord- If there is an external power cord, that connects the disposal unit with an electric outlet then you need to match the kitchen wiring with the disposal system.
Direct Wire – If there is no electric outlet at your kitchen then you need to hardwire the disposal unit by a professional electrician to adjust the electrical configuration of your home. This is more among users. Before buying garbage disposal better you check the electric system of your kitchen.
Basic Questions You Need to Ask Yourself before Buying a Garbage Disposal
Some basic questions answer you need to ask yourself & you need to know the answer as well. If you have this knowledge then you are prepared to buy garbage disposal for your kitchen. Because if you don’t know basic information or maintenance procedures, then it may hamper the longevity of the machine.
Who makes the best garbage disposals?
-Brands like InSinkErator, Waste King, KitchenAid, and General Electric make garbage disposal machines. In terms of quality, InSinkErator makes the best disposal units but most of them are pricey. Waste King also provides high-quality disposal units & their price also in an acceptable range. You need to choose the best machine base on your need.
VIDEO: How to clean a garbage disposal?
-At first, turn off the switch of the kitchen garbage disposal. Remove if there is any large scrap or any fragments with cooking tongs. Move around the blades very gently otherwise you may break them or injure yourself.
Then, pour 2-3 cups ice cubes & approximately one cup salt or vinegar into the garbage disposal. Run cold water & let the disposal run for 10-12 seconds. The salt will reduce any foul odor & ice cubes will clean the small food particles off the disposal blades.
Rinse down the particles from the disposal’s drainage system. Now plug the drain with a stopper, fill the whole sink with water & few drops of detergent. Then with the disposal running, let all the water drain at the same time. It will clear out the garbage disposal pipe if there is any food scrap inside.
If you want to get a fresh flavor then you can put some lemon peels into the disposal. Pour some water & run the disposal machine. You will get some flavor all over the disposal machine for a while.
How to remove, replace & install a garbage disposal?
– Replacing & installing kitchen disposal is not a difficult task & does not require any special skill. If you are installing a new model of garbage disposal, then you need to read the instructions manual carefully. We are describing the general procedure to replace & install a garbage disposal unit in the kitchen.
1. Turn off electricity & remove wire connectors- Shut down the electric line, loosen the ground screws & remove both wire connectors from the disposal machine. Then loosen the bolts that connect the drain flange to the disposer.
2. Remove the disposal- For removing garbage disposal, hold the old disposal unit from below & rotate the mounting counter clockwise. Keep rotating until the disposal unit falls away.
3. Installing new disposal- Lift the new disposer to the sink drain & put the tabs to the mounting ring. Then rotate the ring clockwise until it bottoms out. You can take help of a professional plumber to connect the draining pipes of the garbage disposal machine.
It is important to remember that, for installing a garbage disposal you must read the instruction manual carefully. Otherwise, you might confuse. Because electrical wiring required. You may need help from a professional electrician in certain cases.
VIDEO: How does a garbage disposal work?
– You need to understand, how does a garbage disposal work? Garbage disposal has blades inside the grinding chamber. There is external switch to turn on the disposal unit. An electric operated motor powers the blade to grind all the food wastes that are put into the grinding chamber. The food scraps break down into small particles after grinding & drain away with the water through the sewerage system. This is the basic function of a garbage disposal unit.
Do garbage disposal blades wear out?
– Yes, garbage disposal blades wear out if you don’t maintain some basic maintenance rules. If you put bones & hard food wastes into the disposer while it is running, then the blades might become dull very fast. These type of hard food wastes may disrupt the grinding process & wear out the grinding blades. This affects the overall longevity of the machine.
How expensive it to replace a garbage disposal?
-The price of garbage disposal depends on the type of disposal unit. There are different models & features. So prices are different accordingly. We can give you an idea about price Aluminum & Stainless Steel disposal units.
Aluminum disposals are much cheaper & range of cost around $80 to $150. This is very economical costing but the materials are not long lasting.
Stainless steel disposal units are much expensive but more durable & high quality. The costing is around $180 to $300.
Base on product features, brand & materials, price vary a lot. You can discuss with a plumber to decide the most suitable garbage disposal according to your home settings.
Does a plumber or electrician install a garbage disposal?
– A plumber or electrician may need for installing a new garbage disposal unit. While installing the machine, you may need to do electrical wiring to run the disposal unit. That time, to install the switch you need to take help from a professional electrician. A plumber needs to install the machine under the kitchen sink. For connecting pipes with the disposer & sewerage line, a plumber is required. Better do it safely.
When should a garbage disposal be replaced?
-Normally a garbage disposal unit lasts from 10 to 12 years. If leakage happens frequently in your machine or because of hard food wastes if the blades wear out, then you might need to replace the unit. But the timing should be around 10 years when you might decide to replace it. Maybe you have to press the reset button so frequently, if it clogs so often, if can’t get rid of odors, if there are leaks that you can’t fix etc. Generally, these problems happen after a period of time, when the machine is close to its full life span.
Do you need to empty garbage disposal?
– You need to empty & clean the garbage disposal at least once a week. By emptying the disposal unit frequently, you can get rid of the garbage disposal smell. Pour 2 cups of ice & 1 cup salt into it. Then run the disposal machine & it will clean up properly. Without emptying the disposal, you can’t operate the cleaning process.
Do plumbers fix garbage disposals?
-If there is any problem regarding connection pipes then a plumber can fix the problem. Also if there is any leakage issue, then a plumber can repair that.
What should you not put down a garbage disposal?
-You should not put small bones or hard food wastes in a garbage disposal. It might make the blades dull or the grinding chamber may jam. It disrupts the whole function of the garbage disposal machine. Whatever powerful the motor is, we recommend not to put bones in the food disposer.
What do I need to install a garbage disposal?
-To install a garbage disposal perfectly, you will need some equipment as below-
- A screwdriver
- A disposer wrench
- A hackshaw
- Water pump pliers
- Plumber’s putty
- Electrical cord
- Goggles & dust mask
Can you burn out a garbage disposal?
-Garbage disposals are powered by a motor. This motor can burn out due to certain reasons. When you get a burning smell or smoke, then most probably the motor is burned out. A most common reason is jamming the disposal unit with too much food waste or if any outside object falls inside. If this type issue happens so frequently, then the motor may burn out. Never put your hand into the disposal unit for clearing the jam. Before doing that, shut down the circuit breaker which supplies the electricity to the disposal machine.
-A garbage disposal may leak from the bottom of the unit. There is a sink flange inside the sink, which is sealed with plumber’s putty. This works as an internal seal to protect the motor. If the seal breaks down or loosen because of corrosion, then it might leak from the bottom. In most cases, you need to get new garbage disposal if your old machine leaks from the bottom.
Can you remove a garbage disposal?
–Removing garbage disposal is not a difficult task. For replacing the old disposal with the new one, you have to remove the old disposal at first. It’s a simple process. Turn the water supply & power off. If the disposal is in the place for a long period, then maybe there is hard rust to hold the flange in position. In this case, better if you spray some penetrating oil on the flange & keep for some minutes. This oil will work on rust to free up the flange. Use a screwdriver to remove the top ring of the flange.
Remove the plumber’s putty. Hold the disposal unit form the bottom so that it doesn’t fall. After removing screws & plumber’s putty you can easily remove the disposal unit.
How Are Garbage Disposal Units Environmentally Friendly?
-Garbage disposal units are an excellent eco-friendly machine. After you throw the garbage in the disposal unit, it goes into the sewer system & ends up in the wastewater treatment plant. Wastewater treatment plants are able to capture greenhouse gases & convert it into biogas. If local governments can put the system of using the biogas to convert into natural fuel or to power electricity grid then it will be more eco-friendly & useful than now.
What is the Popular garbage disposal brand?
-Garbage disposals are so useful in the modern kitchen. Different companies are making garbage disposal machines & there are a lot of brand names. It is a positive thing that, several reputed manufacturers are competing with each other & healthy competition always raises the quality level. Though you get what you pay for in terms of quality. We did extensive research about the most favorable brands of garbage disposals in the market.
- InSinkErator– InSinkErator is one of the top brands since it was founded by John Hammes in 1927 located in Wisconsin. The company has a long history of building garbage disposal machines. The design features & technological implementations made InSinkErator as one of the best in the business. InSinkErator models have a motor range from 1/3 HP to 1.1 HP. The price range of InSinkErator models is a little bit higher because of the high quality & technological uses in the garbage disposal unit. Features like Soundseal technology, Multi-grind technology, large chamber capacity & 1 HP motor are the highlights of InSinkErator models & enhances the performance level of the machine. If you have a good budget, then you can buy one of the InSinkErator models for your kitchen waste maintenance.
- Waste King– Waste King is a US-based manufacturer & worked years after years to achieve the position that they are in today. They offer varieties type garbage disposals with attractive design features. The outstanding customer service & product quality made them so popular among home & commercial users of kitchen sink disposal. Waste King disposal units are easy to install with EZ mount system, energy efficient & price is affordable with reasonably quiet performance. InSinkErator models are a bit higher price. So if you have a little bit less budget then you can easily choose one of the Waste King models. Because most of the Waste King models are compact size & space saving. Also, there is a removable splash guard to keep the food scraps down when disposing of them.
- KitchenAid– KitchenAid was founded in 1919 & the only brand that strictly makes only kitchen appliances. They are most famous for making high-quality mixers but KitchenAid disposals are not bad at all. KitchenAid models are moderately powerful & quiet. Both batch feed & continuous feed garbage disposals are available in KitchenAid. You can get a KitchenAid model at a moderate expense.
- Whirlpool– Whirlpool is an international manufacturer & marketer of home appliances. They are reputed for making high-quality home appliances. Whirlpool is located in Benton Harbor, Michigan America. Whirlpool garbage disposals are entry level kitchen disposal & suitable for a small family. Affordable price range, easy installation, good quality & customer service made them popular among users. Whirlpool markets different brands like KitchenAid, Maytag, Amana, Jenn-Air, etc.
- GE- GE is the short form of General Electric, which is an international conglomerate & located in New York City. From motor parts to transportation, the company operates different products. GE is one of the largest company in the USA. Like InSinkErator, GE is not specialized for making only garbage disposal units but in terms of garbage disposal machine, GE ensures powerful motor & durability.
What problems should you expect?
You need to keep the idea about the common problems that happen in garbage disposal unit. Before you buy one, you need to understand the type of problems & why the problems happen. This will help you to choose the perfect garbage disposal for your kitchen.
Noise is the most common problem of a garbage disposal machine. When you run the disposal unit, then there is vibration & sound comes out of that. Normally large & powerful motor garbage disposals are quiet. Also, there are sound dampening features in some garbage disposal machines. Disposals with soundseal technology perform so quietly but you need to pay a higher price for that. So we recommend, to study all the details of the disposal unit before just buying randomly.
VIDEO: Garbage disposal making load noise (SOLUTION)
This is another common problem which all sink grinder users suffer. If you have food waste disposal then jamming will happen. But there are ways to minimize the problem. Normally jamming happen if there is an overload of foods inside the grinding chamber & the motor cannot cover grinding all wastes at a time. If you put hard food wastes like bones or if any foreign material gets inside the disposal then the jam can happen. The jam disrupts the whole function & the grinding blades also can wear out. So as a precaution, don’t put any hard food waste into the disposal machine. It will increase machine longevity & reduce unnecessary workload for you.
VIDEO: How to Fix a Jammed Garbage Disposal
Clogging is slightly different than jamming. While jamming is a mechanical issue, clogging is more about the maintenance issue. Clogging doesn’t happen suddenly but jam can happen suddenly. The general concept is, if the motor is so powerful then there is no risk of clogging or jamming. You may avoid jamming with a powerful motor but you can’t avoid clogging with just a powerful motor. You need to clean the disposal unit on a regular basis to stop too much debris building up. If that happens then your drain will clog.
VIDEO : How to unclog a garbage disposal
Unfortunately, most of the people use the disposal sink like a trash can. If you don’t out efforts into managing the daily rubbish then your disposal machine is in the risk of clogging. So, to avoid clogging, you need to clean & learn how to care for the pipes & the unit.
Instructions & Suggestions from Designers
The longevity of a machine depends a lot on the maintenance of the machine. If you can maintain proper care of food disposal & if you don’t misuse it, then it might serve you around 12 years. That is a pretty long time. So you need to follow certain regulations which are recommended by the manufacturer also. You need to follow certain steps on how to operate & how to maintain the machine to get the best service out of it. Read & understand below instructions-
Instruction for operating
Every time you use the disposal, you do it calmly. Don’t do hurry & you can mess up.
1. Start with pouring cold water. Why cold water? Because using cold water to grind extends the life of your disposal unit. With cold water, any fat inside the disposal will remain solid & pass through the drain pipes.
2. Then turn on the switch of the disposal unit & insert food wastes slowly into the disposal machine. If you do hurry & try to put a large number of food wastes, then a jam can occur. This can lead to slow food waste processing & break down of grinding blades.
3. Once the food wastes are broken down, turn off the disposal. Run cold water for some time & flush the drain pipe.
It generally takes a few seconds to complete the grinding process depending on the quantity & type of food waste. If there is no food in the grinding chamber, then the sound of grinding will change.
- You need to avoid doing certain activities to reduce unnecessary issues in the machine. Otherwise, the disposal will not be able to give you the best service.
- Though there is fat in some food wastes try not to put any fat in the garbage disposal. Better if you can dispose of fat items separately. Because fats can hamper your drain line.
- Don’t put large bones inside the garbage disposal. Bones can hamper the grinding blades & the motor also can burn out in some cases. If the motor is powerful enough then you can put small bones.
- Avoid grinding a large number of egg shells at a time.
- When food wastes will finish in the grinding chamber, then the sound will change. You will hear only the sound of water & motor. Only when you turn off the garbage disposal machine.
- Your sink disposal is not a trash can. So put only food scraps in it.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals such as bleach.
Maintenance Instruction of Garbage Disposal
Garbage disposal is your everyday assistant to keep your kitchen clean. You need to use the disposal unit frequently. Continuous usage of the machine may cause odor & small food particles layer may build up inside the disposal unit. You might get bad smell through the sinkhole. So you need to clean the disposal unit on daily, weekly & regular basis.
Daily basis maintenance– If the garbage disposal is rinsed with normal soapy waste water, which is enough for daily maintenance. This helps to reduce the accumulation of small particles.
Weekly basis maintenance– Flush the garbage disposal with cold water on a weekly basis. Fill the sink with cold water & pull the stopper. Run the disposal unit & allow the water to drain. The flushing action of the cold water will rinse the drain line & any loose food waste will remove.
Garbage disposal monthly maintenance–
Keep some materials ready as a part of the monthly maintenance of the garbage disposal.
1. 2 cups of Ice cubes
2. 1 cup rock salt
3. Lemon peels
4. Baking soda & vinegar
A great way is to clean with lemon peels. Pour 2 cups of ice cubes, one cup of rock salt & lemon peels in the garbage disposal machine. Turn the garbage disposal on & run some cold water. Then ice cubes & salt will clean the grinding chamber. Grinding ice cleans the grinding blades, sharpens the blade & removed unwanted odor. Grinding lemon peels will freshen up inside the grind chamber & disposal system. Your kitchen & disposal unit will smell great
Baking soda & vinegar is an anti-odor combo. Place a stopper at first. Fill the sink to half with warm water. Sprinkle half cup baking soda & a cup of vinegar into the drain. Let it mix & sit 5-10 minutes. After that, turn the disposer on & remove the stopper at the same time. Rinse the draining with hot water while running the garbage disposal.
You should do these maintenance exercises on a regular routine basis. It will help to keep your garbage disposal remain healthy. The machine will be more efficient & you will be able to experience the decade long service from the garbage disposal machine.
We hope this guide will help you choose the best garbage disposal for your home. We provided only essential & specific information in this article so that you can easily understand the basics of buying a garbage disposal unit. We reviewed some top garbage disposals in this article base on quality, technology, materials & price. Hope this will help you take the best decision according to your family need.
Dr. CHRISTIAN-JEVON BRAMWELL MD
Christian Bramwell, MD uses his own weight loss story as teaching for people struggling with their own weight through blogging, teaching, and writing. His mission in life is to promote health and education, that is why he has chosen to be a family physician and found his own nonprofit Project RAK based on education and empowerment.
NPI (Doctor proof number) – 1336632918 NPI Number: